For Sale:  1951 HENRY J 2dr Sedan, 6, OD, 45K miles - $17,800 - Grants Pass, OR - Not Mine

For Sale: 1951 HENRY J 2dr Sedan, 6, OD, 45K miles - $17,800 - Grants Pass, OR

1951 HENRY J - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1951 HENRY J 2dr Sedan, RESTORED AS NEEDED ONE OF THE FEW LEFT THAT HAS NOT BEEN MOLESTED
Factory Options:
Original "Supersonic" 6-cyl flathead mated to Borg Warner T-96 3-speed manual w/ OVERDRIVE. 6-volt system. Operational outside trunk. Working 2spd factory heater cigarette lighter, ashtrays and armrests ( seems like almost everything was an add on). Older repaint with blemishes.  The seats and door panels are still covered in the ORIGINAL factory material. The embossed vinyl upholstery is often described as " Alligator".

Recent work performed:

New brakes, shocks, battery. turn signals installed and bumpers re-chromed. Carburetor rebuilt, spark plugs. replaced and fluids changed. New brake and fuel lines, new headliner and carpets installed. Roof and floors were stripped and coated w/ Por15 and Plasticoat. Window rubbers replaced. 5 new Coker radial tires mounted on powder coated rims w/ Kaiser center caps. New exhaust system - front and rear
All the gauges work, lights, horn.  Wipers inoperable.  Speedometer bounces a little but finds itself.  Front lower seat cushion could use new foam. At that time, I would have seat belts installed. Have added peep mirrors since photos taken. MIGHT CONSIDER A TRADE IF IT MAKES SENSE. Please - no bikes or projects.  OREGON TITLE IN MY NAME. odometer: 45444
Copy and paste in your email: b3127b271f4f3defae33f0e03fbfc61f@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1951 HENRY J 2dr Sedan.

'51 HENRY J OR a.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR b.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR c.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR d.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR e.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR f.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR g.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR h.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR i.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR j.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR k.jpg

'51 HENRY J OR l.jpg

• Like 1

I’m not sure any Henry J is worth $17k, however if there is one, you’d think it would be one with working wipers, where the front seat didn’t need restuffing, where the speedometer didn’t need to “find itself” and without blemishes in the paint.

• Like 1

The Henry J - like the '33 and early 1940's era Willys coupe - first came on many boomers' radar as small cars modified for drag racing. I hate to admit it, but because that was my experience, I kind of prefer them as gassers to stock economy cars. I could never bring myself to modify one into a street rod or dragster, but the idea of owning a stock version wouldn't all that appealing to me. I like this one that's up for sale, though, and I'm happy it doesn't have a V-8 in it.

The KF bunch are as parsimonious as the Nash and Stude crowd. Even an Allstate in this condition wouldn't approach that price, imho (and as a LM in KFOCI).

What's disappearing in memory is that these were derided back in the day... like Pinto's were to a later generation, or perhaps Hyundai's a few years ago.

Edited by Sal Hepatica (see edit history)

A nice car but not at the asking price. While new plastic knobs are available - and this car needs them all - the original interior counts for something, however, the untidy engine compartment does detract. I'm not sure the paint job is the correct shade...a look at the trim tag would confirm.

This car should have the full wheel covers, although the smaller caps with the incorrect color wheels does give it a sportier look. Since it's a six cylinder car, I believe it should have front and rear bumper guards as well.

The six with overdrive is surprisingly nimble, especially in the lightweight car like this. My 54 J can handle highway speeds and still deliver reasonable gas mileage. 

Somewhere closer to just north of $10k would be about right for this example.